When children’s feet are properly cared for, specific foot problems may be avoided as they get older. One of the first things parents can do for their children is to wash and dry their feet daily, especially between the toes. It is encouraged for toddlers to walk barefoot while indoors, and this may be helpful in strengthening the overall foot as the toes grasp the floor. When children are walking outdoors, it is beneficial to have your child’s feet measured, as this can help in determining that the correct size shoes are purchased. It is important that the toes have adequate room to move freely in, and socks should be made of breathable materials. Additionally, trimming your child’s toenails correctly may prevent ingrown toenails. If you would like more information about how to take care of children's feet, it is suggested that you speak to a podiatrist.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Carolina Foot & Ankle. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Huntersville Office | 16419 Northcross Dr Suite A, Huntersville, NC 28078; Mooresvillle Office | 206 Joe Knox Avenue Suite D, Mooresville, NC 28117; and Mountain Island | 10310 Couloak Drive, Charlotte, NC 28216. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about How to Care for Your Child's Feet